in conversation

 

Morning Notes for the Day

In some discussions of literature and culture, people put Text A "in conversation" with Text B.

Despite temporary moments of anger, I find comfort in conversations with relatives and friends, conversations that are not metaphors.  Even the reductive conservations by email provide comfort and assurance.  I assume people who put one segment of print in conversation with another also find a degree of comfort in what they are doing.  I would not claim they are not manufacturing useful knowledge.

I am, however, old fashioned and increasingly fixed in my opinions.  I try to obtain meaningful insights by comparing Text A with Text B, but I refuse to put them in conversation.  The only conversation I can find valid is the silent conversation in my mind.

Jerry W. Ward, Jr.                            April  11, 2021

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CLA paper

reading notes for September 23, 2019

Musings, February 8-9, 2021