prelude for an interview


Retired 2012

One works harder after retirement.



The peoples program

Primarily retired non-African American people.

Until COVID-19 necessitated our ending face-to-face discussions, the weekly meetings with senior citizens produced many moments of discovery and joy.



Blogs reveals where his mind is now. Not only on history but also on the era we are living through.

The blogs make a certain freedom of thought possible.  I can be far more honest in blogs (and in poems) than in peer-reviewed articles.  As you are aware, history as a never-ending process and history as an objective/subjective record (narrative) of process are exceptionally important for me.



What do I want to know about Jerry and why?

I could give you an epic catalogue of items you should want to know, but it would be far better for you to construct a list of 15-20 items.



Talk at two HBCUs

Between 1970 and 2012 I taught at Tougaloo College (1970-2002) and Dillard University (2002-2012). Although I did have offers to teach at wealthier institutions,  I made a conscious choice to remain anchored with my people.



Mentors

I am greatly pleased by the achievements of the UNCF/Mellon Fellows for whom I served as an official mentor and what has been accomplished by a larger number of my former students whom I volunteered to mentor. Good teachers try to be good mentors.



Whether the engagement of history among younger students is shallow?

The very shallow engagement among many students is fatal!



Sits on advisory board of Journal of Ethnic American Literature

I also serve on the boards for

·        African American Review

·        The Langston Hughes Review

·         Mississippi Quarterly

Many of our colleagues sit on editorial boards, but only a small number of peers truly "serve."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CLA paper

reading notes for September 23, 2019

Musings, February 8-9, 2021