meditation on dread (first installment)


 meditation on dread (first installment)

Seeking clarification, a friend asked "Why do you call what you are saying about dread a meditation?"  I tell him I'm trying to express my reflections in contemplation on a critical issue that is at the core of my subjectivity.  The Latinate words may obscure more than they reveal.  In 2019, many Americans distrust words that are not Anglo-Saxon or Germanic  in origin. They can, should they so choose,  trust the  word "dread."



My dread is grounded in my gut responses to "Native Son Sundance 2019 World Premiere Q&Q"---https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pChHoyaWRo --to the comments on the film  "Native Son" (2019)  by Rashid Johnson (the director), Suzan-Lori Parks (the screenwriter) and Ashton Sanders  who plays the role of  the 21st century Bigger Thomas.  This is my partial summary of comments-----

·         Adapting a classic novel is complicated

·         Richard Wright provided an opportunity to tell a story about race, class, a young man's existential journey

·         philosophical concerns stand in contrast to telling a story

·         we lack the tools to have a conversation about the recurrence of Bigger Thomas

·         Bigger is an outsider; what cultural tools would he use to express who he is

·         Punk is radical music that has some parallels with hip-hop as radical music

·         21st century Bigger gets into trouble when he begins to play by the rules ---to get a job, to be friends with Mary Dalton ---friends share drugs

·         21st century Bigger does not kill his girlfriend Bessie; he would not  be sufficiently complicated and sympathetic simultaneously if the film allowed such violence against women to hijack his character

·         Wright put Bigger on trial in a court; the makers of "Native Son" (2019) put him on trial in the streets

·         Wright himself  changed his novel in his 1950 film; we are rolling Wright's wheel forward; it would not be fair to Wright to tell the story as he told it in 1940

·         "That's what artists do.  They fuck shit up" (Rashid Johnson)

The Q&A reminds me that 79 years stand between the first audience for Bigger Thomas and the current audience.  As a critic who wishes to be true to his own prejudices regarding historical consciousness and ethical in dealing with deformations (the new film)  which challenge, undermine, question the legitimacy of prejudices, I experience dread.



Perhaps my dread is actually a dread of recognition, recognition that 79 years of change in the nature of the world and of how art can function in it constitute a genuine existential threat.  I fear that a kind of pragmatic racial wisdom that enabled my people to survive the institution of slavery in a past is leaking into oblivion.  I have a degree of panic regarding the necessity of inevitable and  endless intergenerational conversations, many of them being mere talk  (without action) that rejects the reproduction of wisdom.  Perhaps I dread that my critical thinking and critical cultural tools are items  of nostalgia .  Perhaps I dread most the impossibility, until one is brain dead and buried, of existing beyond the rules/laws of universal enslavement.  Perhaps I dread that when I do actually have the chance to watch "Native Son" (2019), I shall have to drink a deadly brew of aversion and attraction.



Jerry W. Ward, Jr.                            January 30, 2019

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CLA paper

reading notes for September 23, 2019

Tell Them We Are Rising